Translation: sworn or certified?

I often get asked if I do traductions assermentées/sworn translations. I do but in the UK, they're called certified translations.

The confusion between the two terms comes from cultural differences: in France, translators are "sworn" by a Cour d'appel but this system doesn't exist in the UK, where qualified translators can certify their own work.

So what's a certified translation? It's a translation that is signeddated and stamped by an identifiable third-party translator. Like sworn translations, certified translations are generally required for official documents – e.g birth and marriage certificates, diplomas and degree transcripts – in order to maintain their legal validity.

I also provide standard translations for commercial purposes, which do not need to be formalised in this way.

You can find me on the official list provided by the Consulate General of France in the UK. If you need a certified translation for legal purposes, in France or in the UK, I am able to provide you with one.

Why choose me

Professional linguist with 15 years' experience
Translator, teacher & interpreter since 2004
Chartered Member of CIOL
Member of IAPTI

Translation experience
Certified translation of official documents:
- birth/marriage/divorce certificates
- diplomas, transcripts & references
- legal/medical/insurance documents
Academic articles/literary essays
Business/marketing communications
CRM software

Interpreting experience
Court hearings
Medical and work-related
Edinburgh International Film Festival 2010
Arts/cultural events
'Fixer' for French TV

Teaching experience
Language assistant at prestigious Fettes College
Teacher at 4 leading UK universities
- University of Oxford (ongoing)

First degree in English Studies
MSc in Translation Studies
Professional Graduate Diploma In Secondary Education (French & Spanish)